- This event has passed.
Back on Track
November 18 @ 9:30 am - 12:00 pm
A 10 week, holistic program promoting Islamic living offers your teens an insightful and exciting way to learn about Islam. Lessons aim to strengthen the understanding and practice of Islamic values and morals relevant to teenagers. This in turn will guide teens through their discovery of the ultimate purpose of life. The “Back On Track” program is designed for teens between 12 to 16 years of age, by addressing issues close to the hearts and minds of teenagers. The program will include topics ranging from the value of good companionship, to the importance of the decisions that we make, the pressures of youth, and the role of Islam in our lives today. Regular problem solving and team activities, as well as monthly outdoor sports activity and breakout sessions will give a practical aspect to the lessons, as well as help in making the experience a positive one.
Anyone who’s been around teens between the ages of 12 – 16 will recognize an upsetting trend: self-centredness, various forms of addictions, lack of interest in religious obligations and almost total obliviousness to the world around them. Despite the self-absorption, there is still a lack of proper sense of identity. It can be understood, perhaps, in that these are formative years in which children and adolescents are struggling with a huge input of information from the world around them that they can’t quite figure out what to do with. These years are recognized as the most difficult years for parents, and for the children too; but for Muslim parents struggling to raise their children upon Islam, the problems are compounded. We at Kalemah believe that one of the primary ways to address these issues is by connecting the young minds to their strong Islamic identity through interactive learning about the rich Islamic legacy as well as the realization of the purpose of life, combined with exciting diversionary activities which help to deliver that message in a subtle and effective way.
- Learning, appreciating, and putting into practice Islamic values and teachings appropriate for Muslim teens.
- Acquiring a confident Muslim teen identity with a strong Islamic moral character and a clear vision in life.
- Realizing that Islam is compatible with a successful worldly life, and looking at realistic examples of achieving a balance between the needs of this world and the next.
- Developing a passion for learning, as well as performing the obligatory prayers.
- Appreciating the importance of the decisions that they make, and the role of good friends in doing so.